Skip to main content

FOGO Is the New FOMO -- The Cut

FOGO Is the New FOMO -- The Cut



I believe that I have developed the opposite of FOMO, in fact: I have a case of FOGO, or Fear of Going Out. Okay, well not literally a fear of going out. I still love a party. Always have and always will. But I have an active non-desire to attend the mass-Instagrammed events that clog up all my social-media feeds on several-week-long intervals throughout the year. And I am not the only one. Last year, around this time of year, Lena Dunham tweeted: "Whatever the opposite of FOMO is, that's what I have about Coachella." Someone I know recently tweeted: "Not going to SXSW is the new getting off Facebook."
Part of the problem is that all these things have become such things. South by Southwest, the last time I went in 2012, felt like one big “meet you by the Doritos stage near the Lacoste house after I stop by the Smart Water lounge.” It's concerts and panels wrapped in a networking event wrapped in a marketing blitzkrieg wrapped in a neon-pink VIP bracelet, with good tacos. Coachella, once simply a joyous, massive music festival in the desert, this year collaborated with H&M and SoulCycle on clothing lines. Tara Reid was there. #No-chella, which got a write-up in Wednesday’s New York Times, is the hashtag that refers to the invite-only big-brand-sponsored house parties that have infiltrated the festival. Apparently, the hottest Saturday-night party was at a mansion in Rancho Mirage and hosted by McDonald’s, Chevrolet, and Bootsy Bellows.

Popular posts from this blog

Elizabeth Holmes Discusses Theranos at WSJDLive 2015

Elizabeth Holmes Discusses Theranos at WSJDLive 2015 Elizabeth Holmes Discusses Theranos at WSJDLive 2015 At the WSJDLive 2015 conference, Theranos founder and CEO Elizabeth Holmes discusses her company's proprietary technologies, the FDA's inspection of its facilities, and the assertion that her company was too quick to market its products.